EOTO Presentation Reactions
This first round of EOTO presentations has provided me with the opportunity to learn about several different forms of communication I otherwise wouldn't have been as knowledgable about. While I felt everyone did an excellent job, I actually happened to find one of my group mates presentation to be one of the most interesting. I was actually previously aware of the usage of carrier pigeons in historical contexts due to a high school AP World History Course! It's crazy how the most niche information sticks with you, because trust me, 14 year old Isabel found absolutely no interest nor thought I would ever utilize the information again. However- I knew that carrier pigeons were heavily utilized in Ancient Mesopotamia, which historians consider to be the first civilization. This society was heavy on trade, and required faster communication then sending people. The animals were able to be trained and could go hundreds of miles in distance and return with messages attached to their legs, which I always found intriguing how they were able to return as well.
However, Kaitlyn's presentation taught me new information about their utilization in World War One. I assumed they had completely gone out of usage during the Ancient Greek and Roman times, given what the modern day of perceptions are (useless birds that target your conveniently freshly washed car as a restroom.) Additionally, it was especially surprising for me to learn they had been used in the war because telegraphs and morse code systems had been invented and established as the newest and most efficient form of communication 100 years prior. I couldn't have been more wrong. In fact, homing pigeons were considered so significant in their use, that on occasion some even received militant recognition for their delivery of messages in the middle of active battlefields. Often times when access to modern technology was severed, messages written in code, would be attached to the carrier pigeons in order to spread warnings, updates on battle, etc.
I also learned that specific harnesses were designed for them to hold these messages in order to ensure that they would make it there. This method of communication allowed for covert crossing through enemy territory where humans were incapable of going for various reasons. These birds were able to fly right over trenches filled with oppositional soldiers without suspicion, providing the ability for troops to call in for reinforcements, saving the lives of hundreds. The birds were also able to be fitted with small cameras, which I didn't know that technology had advanced enough at this point in time, allowing for the reveal of enemy positions and a LITERAL birds eye view of the battlefield.
Overall, I found this new knowledge extremely educational. I, like a lot of people, had relatives that fought in both wars. Not once previously had I ever known that they very well may have been utilizing pigeons, the same form of communication used by ancient societies.
Comments
Post a Comment