Posts

 Blog Post #1:


Top Sources of News



1. Apple News is one of my favorite ways to consume media. I personally prefer this news outlet simply for the convenience of it. It's rare that I am without my phone, and Apple News is a program that comes previously installed on iPhones. Additionally, I automatically receive notifications, which makes it easy and convenient to just click on a story that interests me! I think others who haven't used Apple News should, as it pulls articles from completely different news outlets. 



2. Tiktok is another application that I frequently utilize. Creators on the app use short videos to spread information, news, ideas, etc. However, the only issues that I find with this type of media is bias and accuracy. People making tiktok's know that due to the short time frame provided to film, they have only a few seconds to grab your attention. Unfortunately, this can lead to exaggerations and/or things being taken out of context for clickbait. However, for the most part I do think 

3. As far as news outlets, I prefer to read from sources that are as unbiased as possible. In my freshman year of high school, I took an AP Human Geography class that taught me about the media bias chart, and it has stuck with me ever since. Up until that moment, it had somehow not occurred to me that the news would or even COULD legally lie.  BBC does a really good job about staying neutral and not posting stories that rely heavily on Ethos, or emotional influence, as less of a sway in the perspective stories are told. They try to write their articles from a non-centric, outsiders point of view. That being said, I do sometimes find their articles to have less 

4. Another news outlet I like to read and watch is CNN. Now, with acknowledgement to media bias, I do feel as if it's good to read and inform yourself based off of a variety of sources (to an extent.) I often times find that the same information presented by news outlets with an agenda, are simply just more entertaining- as bad as that sounds. Part of the appeal that American's have for news outlets is the dramatics of it, plain and simple. I still find CNN to be a completely credible source, and so And I will say, I thoroughly enjoy instigating other people in the CNN vs Fox News debate, when honestly I trust both the same amount (taking everything I read with a grain of salt, and knowing there's a high chance for bias.) 

5.  Similar reasonings as before. While CNN has its' own kind of charm, Fox News has the capability of invoking childhood nostalgia for me. My entire childhood, before school I would normally have a 10 minute window before driving to school where I could just sit on the couch and watch TV.  However, my dad also enjoyed that window of time and it almost immediately became news time instead of cartoons. Now as a 7 year old I was not initially happy, but grew to enjoy it. I think for a child, especially one that was sheltered growing up, it was exciting to finally be able to hear the stories behind the adult conversations they whisper and keep away from the kids. It was also a reality check about the frequency of 'bad things' that actually occurred in my life. While my political views don't necessarily align with Fox News' views, I find that they still do have an amazing team of journalists.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rogers' Diffusion Theory

Anti War vs the American Patriot

EOTO #2